Monday, September 13, 2010

Autum is here

Time for a new post, yesterday I made my first tarte tatin ever.
But I'll get back to that in a moment first I have some news, because of lack of time (and more importantly money) I've put the daring bakers challenges on ice, I know it's sad because it's fun and rewarding to participate but as I said can't do it at the moment.

So how come I can post other recipes then? Well it's easy, I love to bake and therefore I always have certain ingredients at home but the challenges often require special ingredients and time. And since I'm finishing my university degree I don't have a lot of spare time or money...

Enough about that back to the tarte, I got both the inspiration and the recipe from Masterchef Australia but I adapted it somewhat.

Apple Tarte Tatin

Serves 2 (or 4 depending on how much you want, I ate 3/4 last night...)

4 Summer red apples (or any tangy cooking apples of the season, I would avoid any mass produced variety like Granny Smith or Golden delicious and get a locally produced apple instead)

1 tbs lemon juice (or enough to coat all the apples and prevent them from browning)

1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar

20g unsalted butter, chopped

Ready-rolled puff pastry sheet

Cream, to serve


1. Preheat oven to 220C (200C fan-forced)

2. Peel apples, cut into quarters, remove cores (cutting each quarter at the core so it has a "flat" side), and toss the quarters in a large bowl with the lemon juice.

3. Using a 20cm frying pan as a guide cut pastry into a round slightly larger than the pan, prick with a fork.

4. Melt butter in a 20cm non-stick frypan (I used a iron skillet) over medium-high heat. Cover with the remaining sugar. Cook over medium-low heat, shaking pan occasionally to spread around any dark spots that appear, until a rich caramel forms.

5. Place apple quarters into pan, rounded side down, arranging them around pan. Cut remaining apple to fill gaps. Cook the apples over medium heat for about 10 minutes until caramel is bubbling up in the pan, shaking pan occasionally to prevent burnt spots (watch out and rather than burning the apples take them of before the 10 min are up).

6. Lay the pastry over the apples, tucking any protruding edges around edges of pan.

7. Place the pan in the oven, cook for about 25 minutes (the time depends on what kind of pastry you use mine was done after 10 minutes in the oven), or until the puff pastry has risen and cooked. The pastry should be dry and flaky. Stand tarte in pan for 10 minutes (try and twist/spin the tarte in the pan and if it twists it's not burned to the bottom of the skillet) before carefully turning out onto a serving plate. Serve with cream.



Like the custard maniac I am I would recommend you serve it with a vanilla custard sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment