Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Rhubarbs


Spring or if I'm honest summer has arrived at my little island, even when it's cold it's warm (10-13°C) and the birds are singing like crazy, in almost every bush you can hear the thrush nightingale and/or the blackbird.
When you go out in the forest everything is starting to get green, one of my favorite routes goes strait through a small beech grove and because H is not here I took some pictures for her.



So I actually have done some baking, unfortunately we've had so much thunderstorms and what not so I only got one good pict.
What have I been baking?

Rhubarb crumble pie!
(Because I took all the rhubarbs and strawberries I had I'm not 100 % on how much you should use.)

Approximately 500 g rhubarb (think I had about 10-14 stalks in various sizes)
About 2 dl strawberries
1-1 1/2 dl caster sugar
1-1 /2 tbs potato flour (or maizena if you have to, not recommended)

For the crumble you will need;
100 g butter or margarine
2-3 tbs caster sugar (I suggest you use 3)
1 1/2 dl wheatflour
1 1/2 dl porridge oats
2 tsp vanilla sugar
1 egg



Before you start turn the oven to 225° C.
Then clean the rhubarbs (peel the larger ones) and mix them with the strawberries (snuffed), sugar and potato flour in a large pie dish.
Melt butter in a saucepan and ad all of the ingredients except the egg. Let the dough cool down a bit and then ad the egg.

Smear the crumble on top of the fruit mix and set the dish in the middle of the oven for 15-20 min or until it's got a nice golden color.
Serve with vanilla ice cream or custard.

The best part about this pie is that the egg turns the crumble more crunchy and a bit like caramel. I made mine when the thunderstorm was right above us and with the rain and cold the pie tasted even better.

As I'm writing this the sun is shining in my face and I really whant to bake some cupcakes or a cheesecake...
But I think that will have to wait, tomorrow I have an exam and on Friday I'm flying up north to see Herbert. Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment